- Indian gooseberry (amla) - 500 gms
- Sea salt - 1½ cups
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Sesame oil - 250 ml
- Red chilli powder - 1½ cups
- Mustard powder - 3 tbsps
- Asafoetida - 1 tsp
- Cut each amla into thin segments. Add one cup of salt and half a teaspoon of turmeric powder, stir and keep covered in a glass bottle for two to three days. Toss the bottle daily a couple of times but do not use a spoon or stir with hand.
- Heat oil to smoking point and allow to cool.
- Take the remaining sea salt in a bowl and crush slightly. Add red chilli powder, remaining turmeric powder, mustard powder and mix well. Add amla (no need to wash amla or throw liquid which might have collected in the glass bottle) and mix well.
- When the oil has cooled slightly add asafoetida. Cool the oil some more and add to the amla mixture.
- Transfer the pickle into sterilized glass or porcelain bottles and keep covered tightly.
- Pickle will be ready in three to four days and will keep for at least three to four months.